Wednesday, September 14

So, I finally have a day off at the place of business that is work, but am at the place of business that is work but doesn't feel like work. It's funny, the contrast between the two jobs that I work is extreme. I will do a list for you:

Kroger
  1. time clock
  2. standing all the time
  3. face to face contact with different people all the time
  4. big unionized corporation
  5. uniform
  6. several different bosses
  7. low paying, weekly paycheck
  8. exhausting
  9. fast paced
  10. varied hours

Legacy

  1. free to set my own hours
  2. sitting @ desk all day
  3. telephone contact w/people mostly
  4. small family owned company
  5. casual office attire
  6. one big cheese
  7. big paychecks, when I get them
  8. relaxing work (yeah, it's true!)
  9. slow going
  10. 9-5 relatively all the time

The one thing I hate about large corporations is the feeling of having smoke blowed up your *ss about the things they promised you at time of hiring. I told them I could only work 25-30 hours a week and they assured me this was a part time position, I have yet to work a week that was less than 35 hours. Was hired for upfront customer service/office; still, for the most part cashiering. I know those things sound small and maybe insignificante, but they are huge to me. I had a conversation with the mgr. that does the scheduling yesterday that went like this:

Betty: "Christa, do you want to be trained up here? (meaning customer service/office)"

Me: "Yes, yes I do, I was hired for that."

Betty: "YOu don't mind the 4-midnight shift?"

Christa: "No, as long as I am not working more than 25-30 hours a week. I have another job, family and church stuff that I am responsible for."

Betty: "But what if it is a dire emergency that you work 40 hours a week?"

Christa: "Well, I guess if it is a dire emergency I would do it. But I am already burning the candle at both ends, so would prefer not to."

Betty: "But you would if it was an emergency right?"

Christa: "Yeah, I guess so."

It ended like that, I guess I need to go in tonight and see if I can look at the projected schedule to see what she scheduled me for. I am debating as to what to do if I am scheduled another 35-40 hours this coming week. If I am, I am half tempted to give them notice.

I am excited, Jamie and Ashlyn will be coming down on Saturday. I can't wait to see Ashlyn! I determined today that I don't see them enough, now I just have to figure out how to change that situation! I haven't heard from Michael in awhile, although I am sure Jamie has. No news is good news in my book!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Please take care of yourself and don't spread yourself too thin. That little bit extra coming in from Kroger's, even though every little bit helps, is NOT worth making yourself sick over. You HAVE to take care of yourself!!!