Monday, January 10

the importance of having clean hands

I understand what it means to have clean hands in the physical/natural. It means my hands are free of dirt, stickyness, gooyness; it means there is no gunk under my fingernails and in my cuticles. It means I could stick my finger in my mouth and not worry about getting sick. This I understand and teach to my children and require of them before preparing or eating food. What does it mean in the spirit to have clean hands? I have read in Psalms about being in the presense of God requires clean hands. (check it out for yourself, Psalms 24: 4) Then this morning I happend to come across Psalms 15 which I believe answers my own question from above. Clean hands refers to action that we take and stuff that we do. Let me just share with you here what this scripture says:

Psalms 15

1 A Psalm of David. Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill? 2 He who walks uprightly, And works righteousness, And speaks the truth in his heart; 3 He who does not backbite with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor does he take up a reproach against his friend; 4 In whose eyes a vile person is despised, But he honors those who fear the Lord; He who swears to his own hurt and does not change; 5 He who does not put out his money at usury, Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved.

We soooo desire to be a house of prayer, a place where the spirit dwells but are we ALL doing those things that His presense requires? I don't mean to sound leagalistic here. Yes there is grace and mercy given by God, but to have His presense requires these actions. These are not a list of rules, these are the desires of God's heart for us, His people that he loves and who love Him. As followers fo Him we MUST walk uprightly, speak the truth, not backbite with our tongue, we MUST not do evil to our neighbor, nor take up a reproach (disgrace, or shame) with our friend. If we desire God to show up in our midst we must by ready with "clean hands and pure hearts" (Psalms 24)

I will post more later, got a meeting to go to!

No comments: